Saturday 23 November 2013

Are You Guilty of Ego-based Blogging?


Are You Guilty of Ego-based Blogging?


You may have noticed that I’ve slowed down with updates to Successful Blogging recently. Partly because I have a lot of client work to do but also because I’ve been suffering from depression so I’m using any free time to nurture and learn about myself. Not forgetting going to see a shrink which is probably overdue by several decades.
It’s hard to know when and how to tell people the truth about yourself  but this is my truth and, although it’s not pretty, it’s okay. I’m might be depressed but you’d never know if you hadn’t read it here. I’m still writing daily, haven’t missed a week in my 52 Exercises Quest over on Get In the Hot Spot and love talking to people.
It’s just that my mood is low so I’m working on making changes and laughing more. I’m seeing results too and firmly believe laughing at my own jokes is a great start.
Fortunately I’ve got to the point where I don’t need to publish blog posts weekly or even bi-weekly and I don’t feel the pressure to constantly promote my business because it’s going well after the years I’ve invested in it.
Even when I stop blogging for months I still get strong traffic here. I still get inquiries for web and blog design work or blog consultations and Successful Blogging in 12 Simple Steps still sells in Kindle and print.
It’s a good place to be because although I’m working less on marketing my business we can still feed the family. Which is important. The first born Candy kid just turned 15 and has joined the 6 foot 2″ club with his dad although I don’t think he’ll be stopping there.
Still, as I take time to reflect on life, I’m thinking that I should probably have done less earlier and that there have been times when I’ve written and published blog posts not just to help my readers or grow my business but because blogging has been a way to make myself feel good.
I confess there have been times when I used blogging more as a way to feed my ego than to feed my family. In particular I’m addicted to getting reader feedback in the form of blog comments, to post shares on Twitter or other social media platforms comments and to my blog analytics which naturally get a boost when a new post is published.
At times my self worth has been tied to those statistics and concerns about if my blogs are ranking or tanking.
But the truth is it doesn’t matter how often you update your blog as long as your blog is fueled by the original passion which created it and as long as you’re blogging because you genuinely love and want to help your ideal readers, not because you’re low on self love and need a little ego boost.
So today I leave you with two thoughts. It’s okay to slow down and when you blog do it to feed your soul, your business or your family. Don’t blog to fuel your ego no matter how much it needs a boost.
Thank You Dear Readers and Clients
I know there’s a lot of online marketing advice out there and I thank you for reading and supporting Successful Blogging. Thank you especially to all the beautiful people who have hired me in the past and are working with me right now. You know who you are. It’s a pleasure to work with you and I’m excited about helping you take your business to the next level.
Blogging is an amazing journey which has enriched my life in many ways and I’m still very much here with you cheering you on as your journey unfolds. If you have any questions about blogging or blog design or need help with specific problems just send me an email.
Keep blogging and keep it real until next time.
x Annabel

Need Help with Blog Design, Updates or WordPress Tweaks?

Blog design by Rich Candy
If you need a hand just email me now to find out how the Successful Blogging team can help you.
My husband Rich and I have been helping creatives and small business owners set up effective websites for 17 years. We’re a small team but we offer a personal service, have oodles of experience in web, social media and content marketing and are utterly passionate about helping people tap into the power of blogging.
Thank you for reading Successful Blogging. We’re looking forward to helping you take your brand and business to the next level.
Has your ego ever got in the way of your blog, business or life?
Author: Annabel Candy

Please Share This:



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment